[mapguide-users] How to display moving symbos on a map?

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri Dec 15 13:25:07 EST 2006

MapGuide Open Source IS large and very new, and because of this it has a
few teething issues.  It does have a lot of functionality which is not
required for simple map display; the API allows you full access to raw
geometry and attributes, feature updates, and some pretty advanced
geospatial functions.  If all you want to do is make a pretty map with
pushpins, it may be overkill.

I have been really happy with the speed, stability, and ease of
maintenance of MapGuide 6.5.  However, I would not consider building a
new web-facing application with it.  User and developer expectations for
web based applications have changed considerably over the last couple
years, and the MapGuide 6.5 architecture does not fit well with these
expectations.

If I was not using MapGuide Open Source / Enterprise, I would be looking
at other options:

- If I didn't have a lot of my own data, possibly something like Google
Maps Enterprise

- If I did, something like SharpMap, GeoServer, or MapServer with an
AJAX-based front end like OpenLayers, MapBuilder, MapBender, etc.

Hopefully, as OSGeo's geodata project and other free data initiatives
gather steam, the requirement to have your own base data will diminish.
At this point, users will be able to quickly and easily set up something
simple like OpenLayers, hitting public WMS-C or TMS image tile caches
for base data, with the only large implementation burden being an
AJAX/JSON web service to place points/lines/polys on the client's map.

Jason