MapGuide on Fedora Core 5

Marcus Spurkel mspurkel at pacbell.net
Mon Jul 17 16:51:43 EDT 2006

Okay, I may be completely out of my mind here (as well as new to this
project so I probably just don't know any better <g>) but I'm trying to
compile MapGuide on my Fedora Core 5 server with gcc 4.1.1.

Having a devil of a time.  It basically boils down to running make,
waiting for it to bomb out and then looking at and hopefully fixing the
error.

And there are lots of 'em!  Most of the complaints were of the "extra
qualification..." variety so I just deleted the offending qualifier.  I
also ran into the "explicit instantiation of non-template type..." error
in ChannelBand.h.  The best solution I've found so far was to comment
out the line entirely -- it doesn't seem to hurt the compilation.  The
new gcc seems to be a lot less forgiving than the version that MapGuide
is normally compiled with (3.4?)  This may be a fool's quest.

But I _did_ finally get it to compile!

I'm running "make check" right now (so far, so good -- it's an old
machine so it'll take a while) and looking forward to seeing if it will
actually work...

Has anyone else had any experience with MapGuide on a new system?