[mapguide-users] Custom FDO Provider

Traian Stanev traian.stanev at autodesk.com
Wed Jun 7 13:24:40 EDT 2006

It certainly is possible and actually not all that hard to write your
own FDO provider. It depends largely on what data you are trying to
access via that provider and how easy it is to map to FDO objects and
APIs. It also depends on if you need to be able to modify data or just
read it for display purposes. If you only need the latter, then you only
need to implement a small-ish subset of the FDO API. If you decide to
give it a shot, I can tell you which FDO interfaces you absolutely need
to implement as a minimum in order to make it work with MapGuide. FYI,
the smallest functioning feature provider I've seen so far is around
2-3000 lines of code (in a single source file), so you are looking at at
least that much work.

Traian

  _____