[mapguide-users] mapserver and mapguide open source

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Mar 9 08:56:32 EST 2006

Antonio Lucas Rodríguez (sr&tec) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've a doubt. Exists any relation between Mapserver project and
> MapguideOpensource?. That is, they are compatible? Mapserver accepts MGP
> packages?

Antonio,

Generally speaking MapServer and MapGuide OS are completely distinct
technologies.  Currently there is no way to share map configurations
between them.  I'm afraid I don't know what an MGP is.

There is some thinking going into ways of sharing technology between
the packages.   For instance, FDO enabling MapServer, and adding GDAL
and OGR FDO providers for MapGuide.

There is an *organizational* relationship between the two packages.  They
are both projects of the Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) and so
share various goals of the foundation.

Note, I'm speaking as a MapServer developer here.

Best regards,