[mapguide-users] Hosting options

Andy Morsell amorsell at spatialgis.com
Tue Mar 21 17:40:18 EST 2006

I would look for a dedicated server leasing solution where you have complete
control over the software installed and configuration.  This way, you know
that someone else's applications aren't going to jeopardize yours.  This is
a more expensive option, but would be worth it.  Also, look for an up-time
guarantee.  Watch out for clauses in the Service Agreement you sign.  You
definitely want an agreement where there is a financial loss to the provider
if your site is down, since it is causing you financial loss for you via
your clients.  Here is an example of a real clause to avoid:

"A. Provider will utilize its best efforts to maintain acceptable
performance of services contracted for, but Provider makes absolutely no
warranties whatsoever, express or implied, including warranty of
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Provider cannot
guarantee continuous service, service at any particular time, or integrity
of data stored or transmitted via its system or via the Internet. Provider
will not be liable for the inadvertent disclosure of, or corruption or
erasure of, data transmitted or received or stored on its system. Provider
shall not be liable to Customer for any claims or damages which may be
suffered by Customer, including, but not limited to, losses or damages of
any and every nature, resulting from the loss of data, inability to access
the Internet or inability to transmit or receive information, caused by, or
resulting from, delays, non-deliveries or service interruptions whether or
not caused by the fault or negligence of Provider."

Also, make sure regular data backups are included as part of your plan.

Sorry that I can't supply recommendations for specific service providers,
but these are a few things I've run across in the past.

Andy Morsell, P.E.
Spatial Integrators, Inc.
http://www.SpatialGIS.com

  _____