Hardware requirements to support multiple users?

Dave McCann mccann.dave at gmail.com
Tue May 16 12:43:04 EDT 2006

We're developing a product that utilizes GIS data for a spatial selection
source and are considering implementing the GIS solution utilizing MapGuide.

On a common day, there would be 140+ users continuously loading map data,
creating a point, line or polygon, and saving the data and exiting the
application.

>From my local testing, it appears that MapGuide is a CPU intensive program
and I'm wondering if it would support this type of environment.

Some sites would require access to the map data source via an ArcSDE FDO. In
my testing with the ArcSDE FDO in MapGuide Studio , I've observed some real
speed of loading data issues along with several tiles not being displayed
when using the Ajax viewer in a .net application with Windows 2003 server
environment. Other sites would be using shapefiles as their map data source.
Again, the same issue was observed with some of the tiles not being
displayed.

With only one person (Me) utilizing the Ajax viewer a simple request or pan
operation on the map tends to spike the cpu usage to the ceiling on my test
server. I'm not sure if it would support the number of users we would
require in a production environment. I've tested using both the .fcgi and
MapAgent.exe as the web service extension configuration. As some of the
other threads mention, I did see an increase of reliability with the
mgserver.exe service not dropping when deployed with MapAgent.exe defined as
the web service extension vice the .fcgi

Do any of you have any recommendations on hardware required to support this
type of environment using MapGuide?

My test server has Twin 3.0 GHz Pentium processors with 4 gig of RAM with
VMWare virtualization software running multiple OS's to create a development
testing environment. I know that this is not an optimal testing environment
to get a good idea of performance.

Each OS has 512 meg of RAM reserved for it's use. The MapGuide server is the
only OS that has a CPU intensive application running.

Thanks,

Dave