[mapguide-users] RE: WMS Data Source?

Thomas M. Tuerke thomas.m.tuerke at autodesk.com
Fri Nov 3 22:32:50 EST 2006

> I guess the only problem is that the server service has to know what the url for the "local" DTDs is.

Yeah, there’s a lot of open-endedness in terms of installation possibilities, but theoretically, these DTDs are static, so finding a single public location is probably adequate.  An installation double-tasked as both extranet and intranet server can always point to some place external server’s content for these files (I doubt you’d want two flavors of DTD.)  Would I be over-reaching in saying that this would satisfy a fair number of use cases?

> for instance serving WMS internally and externally from the same server but through different DNS entries / IP addresses

Hmmm… if two IPs or subdomains resolve to the same MapGuide HttpHandler, it’s not clear to me that the present implementation isn’t going to know the difference… for WMS for sure, (and for all of MapGuide as well, I’m not sure), as I think the configuration information is stored relative to the binaries on the server. Either way, you’re going to expose the same layers in the WMS either way, so there may not be much advantage to two paths to the same HttpHandler.

That said, it wouldn’t be hard for the web-tier HttpHandler to ask for a nuanced config file from the server (given that somebody wants to modify the OS code,) but that functionality doesn’t exist yet.  Certainly that’s the strength of OS over shrink-wrapped code: there’s no way for us developers to conceive – a priori – of every possible installation the site administrator will want, so we try to address the majority cases (make simple things simple and complex things possible, as the saying goes) but with the source, the creative site administrator has a great deal more flexibility.

Anyway, happy Friday, and have a great weekend.

- Thomas

  _____