Various feature enhancements for WMS/WFS

Chris Tweedie chrislist at narx.net
Sun Nov 5 21:20:51 EST 2006

I'm not sure of the process to log new artifacts so i'll try my luck here posting a list of enhancements to mainly the WFS/WMS FDO providers. Feel free to repost to the relevant location(s). Still waiting on that build tutorial Jason as perhaps some of these have been fixed in SVN? :)

WMS FDO related

1. When configuring a "mapguide layer", is there a possibility to select multiple wms layer as one mapguide layer in the feature class dropdown? Currently there is the 1:1 ratio, but especially with WMS it is often beneficial to retrieve multiple layers in one request. This is not possible at the moment and makes it a damn right pain when combined with issue (2)
2. Continuing from the above, it is impossible(?) to select which image format to request from the remote service(s). An obvious oversight, but a fairly important item if you would like the benefit of transparency, or use of multiple remote services for example. Seems to default using image/jpeg?
3. When parsing the GetCapabilities document, the dropdown available when configuring a layer should really use the layer "Title" and not the "Name" to make configuring easier ... many service names are fairly cryptic.
4. Needs to be clearer documentation on the mapping between Mapguides defined coordinate system for the map definition and the requested EPSG codes sent to the WMS services. What happens if i define a coordinate system which isn't supported by the WMS server?
5. Is there any chance we could control the overriding timeout period on WMS services? eg. Service X has a timeout of 10 secs, Service Y 20 secs.

WFS FDO

1. How can i get this sucker to work?? What services were the unit tests conducted on? I can connect fine, but never get anything to draw. This may be a result of item (4) above re: projection codes. No feedback, hard to debug. I'm assuming the WFS GML is not able to be reprojected?
2. As per WMS, the feature class dropdown uses "Name" instead of "Title"
3. Are we able to control the maxfeatures value on a layer by layer basis?
4. Does Mapguide support gzip/deflate http compression for transfer of the returned GML (where supported)?
5. Again, need control over timeout values so as not to impact percieved performance.

Any info would be great,

Cheers

--
Chris Tweedie