Site corrupt - MG Server fails to start

Andy Morsell amorsell at spatialgis.com
Sat Nov 18 15:14:29 EST 2006

I'm cross-posting this from the Autodesk MapGuide Enterprise discussion
group since this may happen on MGOS as well.
I had to reboot my Windows XP development laptop with MapGuide Enterprise
SP1 installed today. When it rebooted, the mgserver process was consuming
100% of the CPU and appeared the MapGuide Server service was trying to start
but could not. I confirmed this by looking in the services control panel and
using pskill, psservice, etc. to try to get the service to start. I finally
gave up and completely uninstalled and reinstalled MG server and SP1. After
installation, the service started right up. I then went into Administrator
and changed the paths for everything to point to my Repositories location. I
then restarted the service to get the settings to stick, and the servivce
would not start again.
So, at this point, the problem has to be corruption in the repository
somewhere. Using the as installed Repositories folder, I discovered that if
I overwrote my Site folder with it's Site folder contents, then the service
would start. So, it looks like somehow the files in my Site repository
folder became corrupt and was preventing MG server from starting. I have no
idea how this happened, but it is rather disconcerting. Luckily it was only
the Site data that was a problem and that my Library seems to be fine.
Otherwise I would be reaching into my backups to restore from.

Andy Morsell, P.E.
Spatial Integrators, Inc.
http://www.SpatialGIS.com