[mapguide-users] Print layouts?

Andrew DeMerchant andrew.demerchant at gemtec.ca
Tue Nov 21 13:30:42 EST 2006

They're certainly not a lot of fun to work with, I'll say that. Someone
needs to make a better editor for them, rather than basically having to
do it in notepad. There's not a lot of good documentation either. My
guess is that very few of us are actually using print layouts, and that
that's why it's still so limited.

Now, for some of the things that you listed, you can already do....You
can have a date/time stamp on the plot, you can have a box around the
legend, and a box around the map (though you can't draw your own where
you please, as far as I know). The Map title can also be added, but
again, you can't control it's location.....here's what my
"LayoutProperties" section looks like:

    <LayoutProperties>
        <ShowTitle>true</ShowTitle>
        <ShowLegend>true</ShowLegend>
        <ShowScaleBar>true</ShowScaleBar>
        <ShowNorthArrow>true</ShowNorthArrow>
        <ShowURL>false</ShowURL>
        <ShowDateTime>true</ShowDateTime>
        <ShowCustomLogos>true</ShowCustomLogos>
        <ShowCustomText>true</ShowCustomText>
    </LayoutProperties>

One other thing to keep in mind is that print layouts do NOT print to
scale. See MG341 (I submitted this for 1.0.1, but it's still not fixed).
Basically, if you printed something out using a print layout at 1:10000,
it's going to have an error of about 40m.....The problem is that the
scalebar is correct, but the label is not. A print layout at 1:10000 is
NOT at 1:10000....Try measuring your scalebar with a 1:10000 scale and
you'll quickly see what I mean.

Andrew

Jason Birch wrote:
> I'm starting to work with print layouts, and I'm finding that they're
> pretty limited.  Am I missing something?
>
> This isn't so important for web plots, but when generating DWFs for
> printing, it would be nice to have more control on the positioning of
> elements, the addition of map and legend bounding boxes, and the
> insertion of metadata elements (map title, date plotted, userid, etc)
> somehow passed as a parameter collection to the layout.
>
> Jason

	*Andrew DeMerchant*
*Computer Technologist*
ph.1-877-2GEMTEC x.163