[mapguide-users] POOL:DWF or AJAX

Andrew DeMerchant andrew.demerchant at gemtec.ca
Thu Sep 14 08:51:43 EDT 2006

I'm a fan of the dwf viewer, personally. My reason for that is that I
find it faster for my data, but mostly that I can zoom and pan with my
mouse wheel. For me, that's a pretty huge advantage. The big, obvious
downside is that you do have to use ActiveX, so you're pretty much stuck
with using IE. In the end, I will likely just keep the setup as I have
it now...where the link that I give out will take the user to a
browser-check page, and then redirects them to either the AJAX viewer of
DWF viewer, depending on the browser type.

Andrew

Traian Stanev wrote:
> As far as the "everything is selectable" argument, you need to take into account the fact that if everything is selectable, it means ALL properties for all features need to be included with the DWF that gets sent to the client. They are all saved out in an XML file that is attached inside the DWF package. So depending on how many features you have and the ratio of viewing operations to selection operations the client is performing, the bandwidth wasted by that DWF could be larger than sending over a simple PNG and then processing a few mouse clicks on the server. So it's a double-edged sword.
>
> Traian

	*Andrew DeMerchant*
*Computer Technologist*
ph.1-877-4GEMTEC x.163