Web Extensions or FDO API

Campbell, Keith A keith.campbell at atkinsglobal.com
Tue Sep 26 11:33:45 EDT 2006

I'd like to get it clear what is the best way to tackle something with
MapGuide.

I'd like to create an application to maintain (add/update/delete) data
in an SDF data store. It will not be instigated by a web application
(although the SDF data will be displayed in one), but rather through a
SQL Server trigger. I'm not sure whether I should be looking at the Web
Extensions (Feature Service) to do this, or the FDO API. As it is not
web based, I suspect it is the FDO API I will need, and I think that
means C++ development, rather than PHP/.NET/Java. As I've not developed
anything with the new MapGuide technology, I'd appreciate being pointed
in the right direction.

A couple of related questions - does the Open Source version of MapGuide
come with the FDO providers or do they need to be installed (and built
also) separately? Are the SDF and SHP providers the only ones currently
available in the OS build?

Thanks,

Keith

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected. If you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing stated in this communication shall be legally binding.