[mapguide-users] Basic Approach

andresch at iway.na andresch at iway.na
Mon Apr 30 17:21:53 EDT 2007

Dear list members

I am familiar with Mapserver and recently installed MapGuide Open
Source on my Windows PC (Apache and PHP).

My client needs a basic website for viewing of shape files, searching
on spacial data and then; for some data allow the result to be
exported as shape file and some of the data to be exported as pdf
only. What we plan to do is to have the data sources devided into 2
PostGIS dbs. One for the restricted data sets and one for the open
data sets. Depending on your login - you will have access to the
various data set.

My qustion is; How easy is it to get the basic web mapping page up and
running and to allow for very basic zoom levels, and search criteria.
Also, does MapGuide security module allow for the above mentioned
access control and also will I be able to print to pdf or export to
shape file?

Lots of questions, but I need to know if MapGuide could be a easy to
setup, yet effective solution?

Regards

Andre