[mapguide-users] Where did the original MapGuide OpenSourcecodecome from?

John Roberts johnemyr at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 20 13:08:19 EDT 2007

Dear Jason/Kenneth

Many Thanks. Things now make sense!.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: mapguide-users-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
[mailto:mapguide-users-bounces at lists.osgeo.org]On Behalf Of Jason Birch
Sent: 20 August 2007 16:31
To: MapGuide Users Mail List
Subject: RE: [mapguide-users] Where did the original MapGuide
OpenSourcecodecome from?

Hi John

That article is (understandably) a bit confusing; the messages floating
around at that point were still unclear.

The relationship between MapGuide and members of the UMN MapServer
technical steering committee was limited to the initial re-branding into
MapServer Enterprise and Cheetah and the establishment of the MapServer
Foundation.  The name change ran into some serious community push-back
and failed, and the MapServer Foundation turned into the Open Source
Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo).

Although UMN MapServer and MapGuide Open Source use some of the same
open source libraries (PROJ.4, GEOS, GDAL, GD, etc), they do not share
code at an application level.  As Kenneth indicates, MapGuide Open
Source was a ground-up project internal to Autodesk. While there are
some indications that developers have referenced routines from various
proprietary Autodesk platforms (e.g.
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/browser/trunk/MgDev/Common/Geometry/Spati
al/SpatialUtilityCircularArc.cpp#L369 ), I haven't seen any shared code
with MapServer.

Autodesk is still the sole contributor of the core C++ MapGuide
components (I hope that changes eventually), but DM Solutions Group has
become actively involved in the Web UI components (Web Studio and
Fusion).  You can see from RFCs 24, 25, and 28
(http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MapGuideRfcs) that this involvement
is being welcomed and actively supported by the entire PSC, including
the Autodesk development team.

Jason