[mapguide-users] making progress with postgis connection on ubuntu

Jo Cook j.cook at OXFORDARCH.CO.UK
Thu Dec 13 07:09:39 EST 2007

Hi all,

After having yet another attempt at compiling and installing MGOS on Ubuntu
7.10, including all the various fixes that have been suggested, and the
latest svn updates I think I'm making some progress. However, my copy of
Autodesk Map Studio isn't working at the moment (crashing with a dotnet
error when you try and connect to a server- countless uninstalls don't seem
to have helped) so I need to get it working just using mapagent and
webstudio.

When I run "Get Feature Providers" in mapagent the postgis provider now
comes through with a fully formed entry (it didn't before), and when I run
"Test Connection" I get an error about my connection string being wrong
rather than errors about being unable to load the library. I'm taking this a
step forward, but I'm kind of stuck as to exactly what the connection string
should look like.

Can someone either tell me what the connection string should look like for
postgis, or send me the xml resource file for a working connection so I can
edit it for my setup?

Also, I am still unable to make a connection with ogr- I have used the
connection string that gives me the correct result for ogrinfo, but get
errors for that as well. The string I am using is:

PG: host=host user=user password=password dbname=database

But this just gives me the error "connect failed"

Many thanks

Jo