[mapguide-users] DWF Viewer progress bar?

Joel Carranza jec at gatekeeper.com
Mon Feb 12 14:44:21 EST 2007

Thank you for this information Walt, this is helpful. The problem that
we are seeing is that a typical map update may take anywhere between
approx 7-12 seconds.  Half of that time is spent w/ the hourglass
showing, and half of that time is being taken up with the progress bar
displaying (sometimes no progress shown, sometimes halfway through).
I've zoomed way in before, and had the map progress bar display almost
immediately, but I still have to wait maybe 4 or 5 seconds before the
update is complete. The number of map features we are talking about here
is less than 10.

So what could be soaking up so much CPU/Bandwidth? This isn't exactly a
lightweight machine (3.4 GHZ, 1GB of RAM, the server is on another
machine but within our local network). Could it be:

- stylization? all out objects are themed with various line style and
weights
- tooltips? Most of our map features have multi-line tooltips.
- the legend? All our layers are being displayed in the legend. When
does this information come down?

I'm taking stabs in the dark here. Any hints might be useful.

Is it possible to hook into the DWF Viewer API to look at processing
times on a per layer basic?

I can't seem to find the DWF Viewer API docs? Are these available on the
web?

Final question, i promise....

Is this even the correct place to ask this question? I find myself
confused in regard to where I should post any given question,
considering the overlap between almost all the groups.

--Joel