[mapguide-users] ArcSDE to SDF or SDF3

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri Feb 23 02:30:40 EST 2007

Gregory wrote:

"Personally, I think FME is cool..  ;)  I believe they recently joined the open source community in some respect - so it will be interesting to see how their involvement affects this community. "

While Safe does not offer any of its tools as open source, they have been a "friend of the community" for quite a while.  They have funded development on things like GDAL, and support all of the Open Source data stores (PostGIS/PostgreSQL, MySQL, SDF3, SQLite, etc) and Neogeography like GeoRSS really well.  They've recently even added support for generic FDO (haven't played with this yet), have plugged into Autodesk Map 3D through FDO, and are working on a server-level FDO provider that allows you to hook into any of the FME formats via MapGuide.

Apart from that, I am in awe of FME's powerful transformational capabilities, and the great tech support and responsive (pre-emptive?) development from the company.  I've often seen new features and even formats that I've requested appear by the time of the next release.  This is one of the few companies that I have ever been genuinely HAPPY to be a customer of.

Jason

pursuant to Massachusetts law. It is intended solely for the
addressee. If you received this in error, please contact the sender
and delete the material from any computer.