[mapguide-users] Best practice to save user resources

Gunter Becker gunter.becker at CSOGIS.DE
Fri Feb 23 06:00:45 EST 2007

Hi,

I actually migrate an MapGuide6.5 application to MapGuide Open Source and
want to know the best way
of storing user resources (currently MapDefinition, WebLayout,
LayerDefinition)  from the session repository when
the user logs out my application. The user should be able to store up to 5
userdefined Maps. So I think about two different solutions

1. Solution
The old MapGuide6.5 application has ca. 100 - 1000 users and so I'm a bit
afraid of storing all the userdefined resources in the "Library"-Repository.
For example: MapGuide Studio seems to load the complete Library-information
when connecting to it and I don't want studio to hang up. Also getting the
resources via API into a XmlDocument could last for some time.
Am I'm right?

2. Solution
Another option is to store the resources XML representation into a database
from where I will load the resources at the time when the user needs them.

I think the first solution is easy to implement (not much work) but has the
described disadvantages (in my opinion). On the other hand the second
solution means more work but better performance.

So what's the right solution you think?? Or maybe you have other solutions??

Gunter