[mapguide-users] Custom OnSelection Events - a better way?

Buscher, Shane Shane.Buscher at nngco.com
Wed Feb 28 13:06:28 EST 2007

I needed a way to capture a selected feature, get it's attributes, then
show the results in the task frame.  I was able to achieve this by
customizing the OnSelectionChanged javascript function in the
mainframe.templ (thanks to Kori
http://www.nabble.com/OnSelection-Event--tf1561860s16610.html#a4241783).
The Viewer API does not expose this event, so the downside is that
you're forced into modifying MapGuide source code that will get executed
for all applications.   I'm developing in an enterprise environment, so
I need to be careful with dabbling in 3rd party source code and want to
avoid unexpected results with other applications that we'll write.  If I
(or someone else) ever did a reinstall of the web extensions and forgot
there was a customized mainframe.templ, we'd be hosed.  Is there any
better way to handle this?

Regards,

Shane