[mapguide-users] Guestion about speedup mapguide, diferent domainname to mapagent.fcgi.

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Wed Feb 28 18:52:40 EST 2007

Hi Trevor,

There are two points here:

- If the tiles were served directly from disk by apache (or IIS), you
will likely better performance than through the tileservice, primarily
because there will be less CPU overhead.  However, the recent changes
there (caching maps, etc).

- From the client level, they only have two pipes to receive those tiles
through, so even if you're serving 100 tiles per second, the client is
only going to be able to download two at a time.  They have to pull down
all of the HTML and JS code through the same pipes, so initial load time
can be a killer at high resolution (more tiles to fill the screen).

On a somewhat-related note, TileCache looks interesting:
http://labs.metacarta.com/wms-c/

Jason