[mapguide-users] MapGuideOS doesn't support RSO natural origin projections

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jan 26 20:39:31 EST 2007

Clever, Max wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am emailing to push for the addition of the coordinate system known as
> the Rectified Skew Orthomorphic Oblique Mercator Natural Origin
> (sometimes known as Hotine Oblique Mercator Natural Origin).  I have
> come to the conclusion that this projection is not capable of being
> defined properly in the current version of Proj.  This email is very
> urgent as it applies to not only Alaska State Plane zone 1 but also
> Michigan Georef (the most widely used projection for freely available
> data in the state of Michigan).

Max,

My suggestion is to try and interest Gerald Evenden, the author of PROJ, in
resolving this problem.  If he prepares a patch for his libproj4 to support
RSO, then you an file a bug against PROJ.4 and encourage me and I'll port
the projection into the regular PROJ.4 which is used by MapGuide Open Source.

Gerald can be reached on the PROJ.4 email list.

I am obviously strongly in favor of having an open source solution to this
problem, but this might be a case where it makes sense to use MapGuide
Enterprise in the meantime.

Best regards,