[mapguide-users] Creating a new line layer at run time

passionlessDrone ScottB at talgov.com
Wed Jul 11 16:44:12 EDT 2007

Hello friends -

MapGuide 1.2 / PHP / Postgres\PostGIS / Windows environment.

I have a table with many lines in it.  I'd like to be able to retrieve one
record of line information, create a new layer on the fly, populate it with
that line information, save to repository and go.  I have been able to
perform this operation with Point data using the development guide as a
basis.  There is something in the dev guide / samples for creating a line,
but it seems like it won't work for my situation for a few reasons.

1) My underlying table has bunches of lines in it.  I need to detect the
user input and show only the line they are interested in.

2) Filtering against PostGIS doesn't seem to work; otherwise I'd just grab
the existing layer, filter out everything except the one line I need to see,
push to the repository, and go.

I've already got the lines defined; but I can't figure out how to take the
geometry from the right row and populate it into a new feature for serving
up at runtime.

If need be, I can also retrieve all of the points that comprise the line; I
saw something in the dev guide that seemed to indicate I could define aline
segment by going from point to point, creating lines.  I suppose it would be
possible to get every point ordered, and create a line from 1 - 2, 2-3, 3-4
....  Is this my only choice?

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

-brian