[mapguide-users] MapGuide Open Source: A Study

John Roberts johnemyr at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 17 14:37:08 EDT 2007

Dear All

My name is John Roberts and I live in Manchester, England. I am to complete
my UNIGIS dissertation in September of this year. My dissertation is an
analysis of the four main FOSS web server products: Deegree Web Services,
GeoServer, MapGuide Open Source & MapServer.

I have some queries regarding MapGuide Open Source in general and its
support for OWS specifications. I have written the queries below. I would be
grateful for any answers people could provide or if people could point me to
the correct locations within the documentation.

I would like to post the final OWS functionality matrix for the four
products in a public location (hopefully the OSGeo site) and hence I would
like to make sure that all four communities are happy with what I produce.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Kind Regards

John Roberts
Manchester UK

General Queries
1.	What is the long term commitment of Autodesk to MapGuide Open Source?
2.	What are the development tools that come with MapGuide Open Source that
allow development of Web applications? What API’s do they use?
3.	Is it necessary to buy MapGuide Studio to realise the full potential of
MapGuide Open Source?
4.	Does MapGuide Studio allow a user to build a web application based on
MapGuide Open Source using wizards etc and hence avoiding any major coding
exercise?

OWS Specifications
Web Map Service (WMS) 1.3.0
1.	Does MapGuide Open Source 1.1.0 support the GetCapabilities, GetMap &
GetFeatureInfo requests?
2.	Is MapGuide Open Source 1.1.0 CITE WMS 1.1.0 compliant?
3.	Is MapGuide Open Source 1.1.0 CITE WMS 1.3.0 compliant?

Styled Layer Descriptor (SLD) 1.0
1.	Does MapGuide Open Source 1.1.0 support:
a.	The extended GetMap request, GET only? (SLD, SLD_BODY, REMOTE_OWS_SERVICE
& REMOTE_OWS_URL parameters)
b.	DescribeLayer request, GET only?
c.	GetLegendGraphic request, GET only?
d.	GetStyles, GET only?
e.	PutStyles, GET only?
2.	Does MapGuide Open Source 1.1.0 support the OGC SLD 1.0 XML document
specification?

Web Map Context (WMC) 1.1
1.	Does MapGuide Open Source 1.1.0 support the OGC WMC 1.1.0 Validation?

Web Feature Service (WFS) 1.1
1.	Does MapGuide Open Source 1.1.0 support Basic WFS (GetCapabilities,
DescribeFeatureType, GetFeature requests, both GET & POST)?
2.	Does MapGuide Open Source 1.1.0 support GetFeatureWithLock (both GET &
POST)?
3.	Does MapGuide Open Source 1.1.0 support transactional WFS (Transaction &
LockFeature requests, both GET & POST)?
4.	Does MapGuide Open Source 1.1.0 support XLink WFS (GetGmlObject request,
GET & POST)?
5.	Does MapGuide Open Source 1.1.0 support the WFS 1.1.0 CITE test?

Filter Encoding 1.1
1.	Does MapGuide Open Source 1.1.0 support Filter Encoding?
2.	Does MapGuide Open Source 1.1.0 support the Filter Encoding section of
the WFS 1.1.0 CITE test?

GML 3.1.1
1.	Does MapGuide Open Source 1.1.0 support GML 3.1.1?
2.	Does MapGuide Open Source 1.1.0 support the GML Simple Features section
of the WFS 1.1.0 CITE test?

Web Coverage Service (WCS) 1.1
1.	Does MapGuide Open Source 1.1.0 support the GetCapabilities,
DescribeCoverage and the GetCoverage Requests (both GET & POST)?
2.	Does MapGuide Open Source 1.1.0 support the WCS 1.0.0 CITE test?