[mapguide-users] MGOS server harware & bandwidth

Andy Morsell amorsell at spatialgis.com
Sat Jul 21 19:18:13 EDT 2007

Regarding the slow user experience on consumer level internet connections:
if you change the format for the map requests from PNG to JPG, the end-user
performance increase is profound.  Especially in the case of raster imagery
layers in the background - each map request will drop from about 1 MB to
less than 100 KB.  Of course, there are cons to this approach: PNG looks
better and if you're using base layer tiles than you must use PNG for the
transparency of the overlying dynamic layers.

For those wondering, you can change this by editing the ajaxmappane.temp
file.  Change the FORMAT=PNG parameter to JPG in the RequestMapImage()
function.

Andy Morsell, P.E.
Spatial Integrators, Inc.
http://www.SpatialGIS.com