[mapguide-users] Opera browser and MGOS

James Card James.Card at calcad.com
Wed Jun 6 09:25:57 EDT 2007

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 03:28:45 -0700, Krunoslav <a_krunoslav at gmx.net> wrote:

> So, does Mgos work with Opera browser? For example, I can't see this in
> Opera 9.02:
>
> http://data.mapguide.com/mapguide/phpviewersample/ajaxviewersample.php

No, not yet. Opera will display the map if you switch to user mode (SHIFT
G), wait for the map image to load, and then switch back to author mode
(SHIFT G again). Opera processes the toolbar controls as expected, but
doesn't handle the context menu (right-click) in the same way as IE or
Firefox.

I suspect that it wouldn't take much to have the AJAX viewer working (with
the possible exception of the context menu) normally in Opera. It just
requires someone to devote some hours to testing the modifications -- in
Opera on Windows, Linux, and MacIntosh, in Internet Explorer on Windows,
in Firefox on Windows, Linux (and Mac?), and in Safari. You'd also want to
evaluate which functions are currently available by default only on the
context menu and make sure they are also available on the toolbar or in
the task pane.

Sadly, as much as I love Opera, I can't make a strong business case for
devoting the hours required to modify the AJAX viewer. The statistics on
my own website, which includes some traffic generated by my postings to
Opera user forums, show less than 1% of my visitors are using Opera; and
this matches the statistics I see from other sources. However, Opera's
popularity in the handheld and embedded devices markets might make one
want to devote the resources required to make it work, if someone felt
those market segments were important enough.

--
James Card
California CAD Solutions, Inc.