[mapguide-users] RE: Desktop implementation of MapGuide

Kenneth, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Tue Jun 12 05:13:09 EDT 2007

I like webapps for things I do infrequently, such as look for street
adresses.
If I have to actually work with it, I prefer a desktop client.

I've tried both GMail and Google Calendar, and they are pretty and neat.
In the long run the Web apps have sluggish handling, periodic erros etc.

That is also true for GIS applications. If you want to present your map
to casual visitors, do use AJAX in a webapp.
If your job is working with GIS, use a desktop app.

So, things that cannot easily be done in web apps are:
Handling of files (due to security constraints)
Handling of clipboard data (due to security constraints)
A very fast, error free user interface (possible, but very hard, I have
yet to see one).
Handling network errors, server faults, etc.
Integration with existing applications, ea. word (again, security
constraints).

Regards, Kenneth, GEOGRAF A/S