[mapguide-users] MrSID files through GDAL FDO provider

Kenneth, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Thu Jun 14 12:21:34 EDT 2007

I looked at the way the providers are registered and tested in the GDAL
library.
I think it would be a relatively small addition, to be able to provide
"hints" to the driver.

The current problem is the Open() call, which tests the providers in turn.
If there was a file in the folder (say "GDAL Loader Hints.txt" stating ea.:
MrSID
ECW

The provider could try these first. It is of course also an overhead,
but testing for a file's existence should be
a relatively low cost operation. Actually reading and parsing the files
should be faster than the current
probing. I would recommend that this would be a hint only, and that the
library should try all providers,
if none of the hinted providers succeed.

Regards, Kenneth, GEOGRAF A/S