[mapguide-users] RE: capacity planning and scalability

jtby jbrosowsky at geo-comm.com
Fri Mar 2 11:05:09 EST 2007

>From what I have read since yesterday (well I just downloaded it yesterday
and fired up a web server with with, which is pretty impressive) for
scalability you can build a multi-tier architecture like:

1.  Create a web application tier that has your web server like IIS, and the
mapguide web extensions.  You can cluster and / or network load balance at
this tier.

2.  Create a mapguide mapsite server – this is like the master server.

3.  Create a mapguide support server tier – here you add more mapguide
servers to add capacity

4.  Database tier – database servers go here

So my question are at step 2:  so far I only read docs about making one of
these – so that would be a problem in a system requiring high availability –
maybe these can be clustered – otherwise it’s a single point of failure.  Or
if the master site server goes, does a support server take over?  Is there
like a round robin load balancing between site and support servers?  How
many draws per minute can a single site server support?

I am sure the info is out there, I have just not found it yet.  Although
probably a lot is, just test it and figure it out right?

Also, I am trying to get ideas for hardware and bandwidth planning, lets say
for 1000 concurrent users.  Are we talking like 200KB per map draw, so maybe
I am looking at an 155Mbps for internet requred?  And the next question of
course is how many servers, and in what config, to accomplish 1-4 above for
1000 users, again coming down to how many draws per minute a mapguide server
supports, and how they are load balanced among support servers.

I am sure there are lots of consultants for hire, or the enterprise version
with support, but going the opensource route I am looking for more self help
docs, or even just to hear from people that are using mapguide opensource to
host a web app for thousand or more users, and how they laid out their web
server farm, that would be an interesting discussion.

Thanks,
John