[mapguide-users] MapGuide SVN UTF Errors

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Mar 4 23:40:12 EST 2007

Chris Gountanis wrote:
> Keep in mind I got all the FDO 3.2.x this way no problems at all. Not
> sure if this is a bigger issue or local to my system but you might want
> to take a look.
>
> Doing a command: svn checkout http://svn.osgeo.org/mapguide/trunk/MgDev
> mapguide
>
> Gives error:
>
> svn: Can't convert string from 'UTF-8' to native encoding:
>
>  In Gentoo the work around was:
>
>  localedef -c -i en_US -f ISO-8859-15 en_US.ISO-8859-15
>
> export LANG="en_US.ISO-8859-15"
>
> env-update && source /etc/profile

Folks,

I assuming this is the same problem that bit me when I used the cygwin
svn client to checkout out mapguide, is that right? I end up having to
use tortoise svn (after some substantial confusion and frustration).
Is there really a file in the respository which needs encoding changing
as it is checked out?  Can't this just be checked in as a binary file?

This is the sort of issue that adds substantial (perhaps unnecessary)
frustration for people trying to get more involved.

Best regards,