[mapguide-users] RE: render service

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Wed Mar 7 11:57:54 EST 2007

It may on the server, but I try to measure performance at the client
side, with a less-than-high-speed connection in mind.  This is why I've
enabled dynamic gzip (with deflate as an alternate) compression on my
web sites for HTML, etc, even though it means that IIS, Apache, or PHP
pulls more CPU.  Of course, I'd have to back off on this if I started
running out of hardware :)

I'm not sure if image compression gives the same cost/speed advantage
though.  Especially if it's trying to apply a linear compression to
continuous data.

Jason