[mapguide-users] MapGuide Open Source or MapServer

max3 maxbrown3 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 13:19:23 EDT 2007

After reading your comments on MGOS and other less complicated applications
(ofcourse with lesser features and flexibility). I was wondering if you can
help me with the following questions. (At present I'm evaluating MGOS for a
vehicle tracking application), however I also completely agree it seems to
be a bit of an overkill. and a bit heavy on the server for my requirement.

1). I have ESRI shapefiles which have various layers such as roads, names,
buildings etc for a city. Can this be loaded onto ka-maps ? if so how ?

2). Can you do all manipulation on the maps such as in Google Maps ?
Polylines, circles, fills, point etc.

3). What is the backend you need to run ? Mapserver?

4). is this also an overkill ? any other suggeestions ?

5). Is the map loading process fairly straight forward ?

6). can you refit maps of various scales together ? e.g.  1:12,500 and
1:50,000.