[mapguide-users] Viewer API Selection Timing Issues

Buscher, Shane Shane.Buscher at nngco.com
Thu Mar 15 11:02:09 EDT 2007

I may be going about this the wrong way, but here's my problem.  I want
to  select a feature based on an attribute query in the task pane,
automatically zoom to it, and highlight it.  I have found highlighting
the feature to be the most problematic because the feature has to exist
within the map frame extent before it can be selected with the
SetSelectionXML() Viewer api function. As far as I know, this is the
only function call you can make in MapGuide to highlight features.

Knowing that SetSelectionXML() will only highlight features in the
current map extent, I preceded to zoom to the feature (ZoomToView)
before calling SetSelectionXML().  The problem is that the map can't
zoom quick enough, and so no features are highlighted:

ZoomToView(x, y, scale);
SetSelectionXML(xmlSet);  //no features exist yet because of delay in
ZoomToView

I don't have any problems when the feature already exists in my map
extent.  Does anyone have a workaround or better method to accomplish
this?  The only hack can think of is to pause the execution of
SetSelectionXML() until ZoomoView is complete, but I'm not sure the best
way to code this.

Regards,

Shane