[mapguide-users] Advantages of storing spatial data in SQL Server

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Sat Mar 31 20:13:43 EDT 2007

Also, decreases performance when compared to SDF.  SDF stores geometry in FGF-native format, so doesn't need to be converted on the fly.

To balance server resources with flexibility, I'm using SDF for data that I do not need to edit via the web or see changes to on the fly, and RDBMS for anything else.

If I was looking at 100% integration with other corporate apps, or didn't have access to FME for regenerating the SDFs (including the generalized versions) nightly, RDBMS would win out because of its manageability.  I'd give up a certain amount of performance for ease of management any day.

Although SDFs are loosely based on SQLite, they do not provide the benefits of views, multiple attribute indexes (I think?) multi-user concurrent editing, and other DB-like features.

Jason

________________________________

From: Warren Medernach
Subject: RE: [mapguide-users] Advantages of storing spatial data in SQL Server

The advantages are many...
- Data in a single location reduces redundancy
- Easier maintenance (backing up a single database vs. multiple files
scattered around)
- Security standards for data access can be established and enforced
- A DBMS is better suited to managing large numbers of concurrent users.

Disadvantages...
- Higher cost with respect to aquiring and maintaining
- Adds complexity, escpecially in smaller projects

By no means is this a complete list...