[mapguide-users] Unmanaged SHP File Locations

Chris Gountanis cgountanis at mpower-tech.com
Fri May 25 10:52:21 EDT 2007

Why do unmanaged FeatureSources respond slower as more files get added to
the directory location? We have a FeatureSource called SHPDefualt for
example. The zooms take longer as well as other functions. It seems when you
query a Feature Source is does not hit the DBF you want directly it seems to
fiddle with everything in the unmanaged directory. We love the concept of a
folder that contains all SHP files. One location is great for batch
processes and great for editing new layers. It is just simple for customers
to understand. For sure easier to back up and recreate. Will this always be
a performance killer?

Is this a bug? Will this be fixed soon?

This really takes the complication out of knowing what the heck is going on
in the repository. Here is XML Example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<FeatureSource xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="FeatureSource-1.0.0.xsd">

<Provider>OSGeo.SHP</Provider>

<Parameter>

<Name>DefaultFileLocation</Name>

<Value>C:\SHPFILES</Value>