[mapguide-users] Building symbols

George McLean gmclean at gorge.net
Fri May 25 16:46:20 EDT 2007

Hello,

I am looking for suggestions for creating nice looking symbols for MGOS
using Atuodesk Mapguide Studio. I have tried loading DWG files with
blocks that I would like to use with some success but I am having
trouble repeating this with other blocks and I am not sure why at this
point. Unfortunately when I did get some blocks to create symbols I
like, I did not save the load procedure so I can not remember what
parameters I set on the load procedure form! Are there any guidelines
for what settings to use in the load procedure for creating symbols from
autocad blocks?

I would also be interested in any suggestions on other methods to create
symbol libraries. I have tried to create fonts using FontCreater but
have not been successful yet most likely due to not understanding what I
am doing very well. I have tried to build a font library similar to the
ESRI libraries but I must be missing some key steps. When I build a font
and assign it to a position in the font table, I get the corresponding
ascii character instead of my symbol.

I have also tried importing bmp files into symbol libraries. but have
not had much luck here either. I can see the BMP in the symbol library
but when I style a point with it I can not see it in the map, layer
preview or when trying to set the reference point. Are there any
guidelines for this procedure like how big the file should be etc?

Sorry for all the rambling but as you can see I am a bit lost on symbol
creation.

Thanks,

George McLean