[mapguide-users] MGE doesn't display MySQL Server's UTF-8 characters correctly

Maksim Sestic max at geoinova.com
Fri Sep 28 11:36:21 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I have a problem while displaying UTF-8 based string Labels, Properties and
Tooltips for MySQL Server stored features. I'm using AJAX viewer. Non-ASCII
characters appear "scrambled", like in screenshot below. I can survive
non-Unicode tooltips (which are generated on client, I presume), but I don't
understand why server prerenders my UTF-8 data as ASCII. Here're some
erroneous chars displayed within Properties ("Osobine objekata") pane:

http://www.nabble.com/file/p12943015/Image_MGE_ScrambledCharacters.jpg

I checked out in ajaxmappane.templ file, along with other .templ files, and
they all clearly state:

I also tried out with Verdana font in ..\localized\en file, Properties do
get displayed using Verdana font but
characters still remain scrambled. The same problematic result I keep
getting with feature Labels set to Verdana font within MapGuide Studio.

On the other hand, Legend is always displayed correctly (including
"problematic" chars).

Server configuration:

- Windows Server 2003
- MySQL Community Server 5.0.22
- Autodesk MapGuide Enterprise 2008 (OSGeo.MySQL.3.2 FDO provider)
- Autodesk MapGuide Studio 2008

Regards,
Maksim Sestic