[mapguide-users] How do i load raster in MGOS 2?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Aug 5 15:36:47 EDT 2008

Jason Birch wrote:
> Frank, does GDAL support an external .prj file for rasters?  I found an
> email from 2003 where you mentioned that you were "in no immediate
> danger of implementing such a .prj file fallback feature for all the
> coordinate-system-less drivers" :)

Jason,

That position remains unchanged 5 years later - at least for .prj files.
However there is now a generic mechanism to attach metadata like
projections for most file formats in an .aux.xml format.  I haven't
really documented this in detail since it is not intended to be done
manually - just programatically.

> You're right that MapGuide 2.0+ requires that the coordinate system of
> the data source matches the coordinate system of the map it is being
> displayed in.  As for creating a coordinate system override, yes this is
> quite possible.  In MapGuide Maestro and in Autodesk MapGuide Studio you
> do this at the data connection level.
>
> In MapGuide Maestro, there is a section called "Coordinate system
> override".  Click on the "Refresh" button to load in the data set's
> implicit coordinate system.  Double-click on the "Default" entry to
> bring up the override dialogue, and then click on the ellipsis (...)
> next to "Target" to set the actual coordinate system.
>
> In Autodesk MapGuide Studio (2008 at least), there is a section called
> "Set coordinate system overrides".  To use it, click on the "Refresh"
> button to load the dataset's implicit coordinate system, highlight the
> default spatial context, and then click on "Edit" to bring up a
> coordinate system picker.

Excellent info.

I have taken the liberty of adding it in:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/wiki/FdoGdalNotes

Please feel free to correct any inaccuracies I have introduced.

It *seems* to me that MapGuide (or Studio or Maestro) should be providing
more feedback to the user on why things aren't or won't work.

Best regards,