[mapguide-users] Help with Mapguide Proposal

Andy Morsell amorsell at spatialgis.com
Wed Dec 10 20:30:47 EST 2008

There are a couple of white papers on the Autodesk MapGuide Enterprise web
site that you would be interested in.  Although written for MapGuide
Enterprise, all of the articles apply to MapGuide Open Source.  They can be
found at:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=7798553

One discusses migrating ArcIMS to MapGuide and one discusses security.  I'm
not sure what your IT folks want in terms of a "secure" web-based program,
but I imagine that either product could meet that requirement if the web
side of things were configured properly.  Here are some other thoughts on
this topic.  Some of the ArcGIS Server information is feedback from some
clients:

- Software cost: MapGuide Open Source costs nothing.  ArcGIS Server is
expensive.
- MapGuide Open Source is open source, ArcGIS Server is not.
- MapGuide Open Source tends to require more tweaking than ArcGIS Server to
obtain reasonable performance.
- ArcGIS Server raster performance is far better than MapGuide Open Source.
And, raster in SDE including on-the-fly coordinate transformation is
supported.
- ArcGIS Server provides some level of integration between desktop, server
and mobile clients.
- The authoring packages for MapGuide Open Source, such as Autodesk MapGuide
Studio or MapGuide Maestro (open source) are superior to anything that ESRI
has.

I'm sure there are some folks on this list that have used both MapGuide Open
Source / Enterprise and ArcGIS Server (or ArcIMS) and it would be
interesting to hear their stories.

Andy Morsell, P.E.
Spatial Integrators, Inc.
www.SpatialGIS.com