[mapguide-users] What is Tile Map?

Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Sat Dec 20 08:30:50 EST 2008

Tiles are not related to the raster workshop as such.

When you request a map in MGOS, it renders all features on the server
and sends the resulting image
to the client. This can take a long time, especially if the data is complex.

One solution would be to pregenerate all possible sizes and displays of
the map, but that would result
in a HUGE number of images. This would also be annoying if you wanted to
turn a layer on or off.

Instead, MapGuide can serve tiles in a grid, so that a user with a
600x600 display gets two tile rows
and two tile cols (a 300x300 tile). A user with a 900x900 display can
then use the same tiles plus some more.

These tiles can then be saved, so that no processing power is required
for subsequent rendering.
To make sure that it is possile to turn layers on/off MapGuide makes
tiles from special groups,
known as "base layers". You can then have ordinary layers and groups
displayed on top of the base layer tiles.

This also makes it possible to have dynamic data displayed up-to-date,
while stale
background data takes up very few resources.

Regards, Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S