[mapguide-users] Differences between UMN MapServer & MapGuide...

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri Feb 8 17:02:06 EST 2008

Hmm. :)

You could do a lot without ripping and replacing MapServer by
introducing OpenLayers and something like TileCache into your
environment.  You may want to look at Fusion or MapFish (both of which
encapsulate OpenLayers) for a development framework.  The nice thing
about Fusion is that it's intended to be cross-platform, supporting both
MapGuide and MapServer, which would make migration less painful if you
did decide to move in the future.  The not-so-nice thing is that it's
not really available publicly outside of the MapGuide build yet, though
there is apparently a plan to move it onto OSGeo infrastructure shortly.

Although I don't have any direct experience with MapServer, I am not
convinced that you would see better performance with MapGuide than with
MapServer if your sole concern is displaying maps.  The implementation
of a tile caching solution (either MapGuide-native or TileCache) will
give you far more bang-for-the-buck if it's done right.

Strengths and weaknesses... There was a thread at SlashGeo on this
subject last year.  Both applications have come a long way since then,
but a lot of the comments are still valid.

http://industry.slashgeo.org/article.pl?sid=07/03/07/183222

Regardless of the platform you choose, competing with Google Maps is
difficult.

Jason