[mapguide-users] Render services image formats

Gary Morin gary.morin at keynetix.com
Thu Mar 20 05:58:18 EDT 2008

Hi

I've been investigating the render services image formats in an attempt to
improve performance over the internet

My first observation, it appears in MGOS 2 setting the image format in
serverconfig.ini does not affect the formats being served, it was only
when I edited the ajaxmappane.templ did I see a difference.

I know the default is PNG, but we can change it JPG and with MGOS2 PNG8.

The problem is, with PNG the map images look great, but the download size
is enormous, I'm using some raster maps and the downloads are in the
region of 1.5mb. on my internet connection it is taking in the region of 6
seconds to display the map after a pan.

If I switch to JPG the download is much faster, the downloaded images are
around 250K, but the quality is poor, some text and labels are now
unreadable.

I have also tried the new PNG8 format, but its results were very similar
to JPG, image quality is poor.

Many of my clients are use to working with the old MG 6.5, even with
raster files being served it performance was great.

Is there a way to alter the compression ratio of a format or any plans to
allow this to be done in the future?

Thanks

Gary