[mapguide-users] Speeding up map rendering

Zac Spitzer zac.spitzer at gmail.com
Mon May 19 22:17:35 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Traian Stanev
<traian.stanev at autodesk.com> wrote:

> Hi Kenneth,
>
> The renderer will unfortunately not respect this -- it always passes an empty property list to FDO, which means select all columns.
>
> Selecting the right columns from the renderer is difficult in general, since one would have to go over all the styles and parse any style expressions to look for property names.

Could the parser for the style and filter definitions be hijacked?
they are already processing these values..

> Selecting all columns does not have much of an overhead for some providers. Which provider are you using (it was not clear to me from the ticket description)?

This is a real problem when accessing oracle tables which have been
setup with Autodesk Map 3d, as it adds a lot of extra ADMP* columns.

it's a real performance killer as there can be quite a few columns

> Interestingly, for the SQLite provider, I had the problem of selecting many columns slowing it down a lot and what I did was in case of empty select list, return just the ID and geometry columns. If the client then attempts to read other columns, I reissue the select with additional columns (not this is done once for the feature reader, not per feature). This way I did not have to worry about the client selecting the right columns, and got a reasonable speedup in most cases (of course it is no help if you are actually reading all properties).
>

> Traian

Zac Spitzer -
http://zacster.blogspot.com (My Blog)
+61 405 847 168