[mapguide-users] .NET Objects for working with Mapguide Resources

Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Thu May 22 14:03:47 EDT 2008

That is a smart way to convert Xsd to classes. Is it possible to extract
the generated code and use it without LinQ for .Net 2.0?

I'm not sure what you mean by "wanted to stay closer to the core API".
Your generated classes expose the MapGuide Xml as .Net classes.
You can then use .Net objects "directly" instead of handling Xml. That
is exactly what the MaestroAPI does.

I have implemented a connection interface that enables you to
communicate with MapGuide either via the MapGuide API, or through Http.
If you use the LocalNativeConnection exclusively, MaestroAPI is doing
the exact same thing your code does.

If you (or someone else) has questions about MaestroAPI usage, please
ask away.
If you (or someone else) find missing functionality, or has improvements
for MaestroAPI, let me know.
I have a short introduction to MaestroAPI usage here:
http://code.google.com/p/mapstudioos/wiki/HowToUseMapGuideAPI
(The site is being migrated to here:
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/maestro)

I like your code, and if you are up for it, I think we both could
benefit from one great API extension, rather than two good ones.
I have learned that after you have the serialization in place there are
many places where you must handle trivial stuff like
converting null string to empty string, empty collections to null
collections, etc. MaestroAPI handles much of this already,
and I would be sad to see you spend your time implementing that for
another project.

Regards, Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S