[mapguide-users] Please help! Has anybody used King.Oracle in real conditions?

shreepad Ranadive shreepadr at valuecad.com
Sun Oct 5 20:47:34 EDT 2008

Hi
We are using couple public application using king fdo with oracle. We have
one schema and its working ok.  The new fdo with 2009 is slower than earlier
one.
Harris: thanks for your response. Please look into it really soon as these
applications are public and will need speed to support it
Secondly the new fdo also does not work with Autodesk map 3d. It crashes the
when you try to connect to oracle

thanks
shreepad
Director of Software development
ValueCAD
444 Natoma St
SanFrancisco, CA 94103

zspitzer wrote:

> caching is in the next release, unfortunately, the king oracle
> provider will enumerate
> all accessible spatial content in the database via all tables which
> requires a permissions
> check over and over again. which is really slow. If your a dba user,
> the dba_ views
> would be much faster
>
> http://zacster.blogspot.com/2008/08/mapguide-fdo-making-oracle-describe.html
>
> Because the provider uses an arbitrary schema rather than on per
> oracle user, as
> most people would expect, optimizations like using the user_ views is
> not possible
>
> As a result the describe schema sucks.....
>
> I spent a while trying to advocate changing this owner on the
> fdo list, but it didn;t go anywhere
>
> I had a good discussion with Geoff Zeiss a few weeks ago at an Autodesk
> conference in the hunter valley about his stuff..
>
> The new caching will help, but it's a band aid over a fundamental design
> problem with the way the provider access the database.
>
> FDO providers aren't transparent either, each one does it differently
>
> http://zacster.blogspot.com/2008/08/some-ponderings-on-fdo-schemas.html
> http://geospatial.blogs.com/geospatial/2008/09/proposal-for-si.html
>
> As for general performance with oracle, your going to be waaaay better
> off exporting out to
> SDF or SQLlite than accessing it from oracle...

> On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 3:38 AM, gingerbbm <stuart.jones at jacobs.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am facing the same problems. MapGuide Open Source running on Windows
>> Server
>> 2003 and IIS6, using King.Oracle to connect to an Oracle 10g database.
>>
>> Everything's working pretty well except for the fact the memory gets
>> gobbled
>> at an alarming rate, and it doesn't ever seem to be freed.
>>
>> As an aside, I'm concerned about the performance of the enumeration of
>> spatial objects in the database. It appears that this happens once per
>> database schema. Is there some way of making this quicker? Or caching the
>> information before users hit the site? I'd appreciate any advice because
>> although it's close, it's not good enough to go live with. And I've
>> invested
>> a lot of time in this product which I'd like to see the benefit of :)
>>
>> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Stuart
>> --