[mapguide-users] Generate map tiles from Oracle data

Zac Spitzer zac.spitzer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 19:11:19 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 9:55 AM, gingerbbm <stuart.jones at jacobs.com> wrote:

> Hmm.
>
> Is there a way to configure MapGuide to exclusively use a tile cache? The
> reason I ask is that the initial enumeration of spatial objects in the
> Oracle schema is really slow. Jason states that:

Any static base data like roads etc should be served out of a file
based provider,
you are simply wasting your time with Oracle. MapGuide 2.1 will have caching
in place which will improve the reading of the schema, but SDF for
example might
render in a few seconds, whilst the same data served via oracle takes
4-5 seconds
and hits the CPU quite hard.

So then with tiling, each screen is broken down into 300px squares, so
this means one
map view involves say 10-12 requests which all adds up very quickly.
12 blinks isn't that
much server load, but 12 x 4s @ heavy CPU will bring the server to it's knees.

> using the Base Layer Group functionality in MapGuide would mean that
> requests beyond the initial request would come from the tiles rather than
> from Oracle

Yep, tiles are cache and therefore it will bypass oracle completely
once the tiled
cache is seeded

Whether it's tiled or not tiled is purely determined by your mapDefinition.

> Is there any way around this once my tiles exist?

Zac Spitzer -
http://zacster.blogspot.com (My Blog)
+61 405 847 168