[mapguide-users] Cyrillic alphabet/Encoding problem

Traian Stanev traian.stanev at autodesk.com
Thu Oct 23 11:42:18 EDT 2008

Yes, SHP files and encodings is trouble... You can try to force the encoding to UTF-8 by adding a .CPG file alongside your SHP file (with the same filename as the .SHP). The contents should be a single line of text, saying "UTF-8", without the quotes. This will hint the FDO provider for SHP files to use that encoding. No guarantee that would fix it though...

Another thing you can do to identify the cause of the problem is try to use a constant Cyrillic string as a label for your geometry. If that shows up fine in MapGuide, then the problem is upstream (in the FDO provider), otherwise it's a problem in the MapGuide code.

Traian