[mapguide-users] TileCache, dynamic layers, and the Session

Zac Spitzer zac.spitzer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 12:45:34 EDT 2008

my little tile service wish list:

1. a do not purge header setting for mapdefinition's
2. don't purge the tile cache when updating a db feature source definition
3. add basic cache headers for tiles
4. a HasTile function something along the lines of a http head which doesn't
trigger rendering
5. PutTile for pushing tiles around between a cluster of servers
6. Meta tiling (generating bigger tiles and slicing them into smaller ones)
7. Base layer group specific image formats ( ie make raster JPG and my carto
PNG8)

1. is desperately need http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/ticket/729
2. is being worked on http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/ticket/642

3,4,5 can be done via scripts and exposing the tile cache via http which I
have been doing myself for a while (nginx is super fast and lightweight)

6. is a huge performance win, i did some mucking around with imagemagik
convert
and a php and it was quite compelling. What was impractical is the fact the
tile size
is a server wide setting so you don't really want to do this unless the
server is
dedicated just for meta tiling (coz all mapguide clients assume 300px sq
tiles)

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 2:58 AM, Jason Birch <Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca> wrote:

> So, if you modify the runtime map, the tile cache no longer pulls images
> from Repositories/TileCache, but starts storing tiles under the session?
> That's bizarre.
>
> I know that RFC11 tried to move away from using the session repository
> for anything tile-based, but I wonder if the line "if a map's tile cache
> is cleared or its MapDefinition changed, the corresponding MgMap
> serialized form will be removed from the cache" has anything to do with
> the behaviour you are seeing.
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MapGuideRfc11
>
> In general, the MapGuide tile cache could definitely stand some
> improvements, especially in making it easier to develop persistent tile
> caches that can be shared by multiple maps (including runtime maps) and
> without fear of invalidating the cache.
>
> Jason

Zac Spitzer -
http://zacster.blogspot.com (My Blog)