[mapguide-users] How to use Java (JSP) development with IIS

Zac Spitzer zac.spitzer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 09:20:59 EDT 2008

So back to original question for sec, Did you try installing the webserver
extensions
with the java option?

Tomcat is bundled with the mapguide webserver extensions and should just
work?

If it doesn't there are detailed instructions on how to do a manual install

I use it with Coldfusion and Jrun, the bundled app server... it works fine

the biggest problem by far is keeping the mapguide server up and running,
sigh :(

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 10:33 PM, Carl Jokl <carl.jokl at keynetix.com> wrote:

> Maksim Sestic wrote:
> >

> > Carl
> >
> > .NET did include J#, actually - VS2005 shipped with J# support. However,
> > as
> > far as I know, VS2008 doesn't ship with J# support. IMHO, J# made porting
> > native Java code to .NET quite easy.
> >

> I have not used it myself to know and you may well be correct but the key
> word you mention is porting. I was just saying that "Java" in .Net compiles
> down to CLI bytecode which is not compatible with a Java Virtual Machine.
> In
> that sense I don't call it "Real" Java in that it is not Java bytecode
> running on a Java Virtual Machine. I must say from the original post that
> it
> is still not completely clear what is desired. You can't run Java bytecode
> in IIS because it is not intended to work with it. I don't know how much
> Java experience inspiron2 has. It would help in terms of how I would
> answer.
> The original post mentions not wanting to use .Net in which case that would
> rule out J#. Tomcat is also mentioned. Tomcat is a self contained Servlet
> Container that can act as a full blown web server running independently of
> IIS. Tomcat will however run on port 8080. This can be changed to make it
> run on port 80 assuming the computer Tomcat is running on does not run any
> other web server. I am not sure for the reason for wanting to use IIS
> unless
> this Java web application is to be integrated with an existing website
> which
> runs on IIS. If that is the case it is going to be tough because Tomcat and
> IIS are not designed to work together having come from two polorized
> competing platforms. Some interoperability is possible but it is not going
> to be easy. It would be a matter of one redirecting or pointing to content
> on the other and also they can't both be running on Port 80.

Zac Spitzer -
http://zacster.blogspot.com (My Blog)
+61 405 847 168