[mapguide-users] Strange SDF locking problem

Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Sat Aug 8 05:35:25 EDT 2009

How many SDF files are there in total?

I had a problem with the OGR provider, as it is capable of pointing to a
folder of files.
Very nice, because you can have one dataconnection and it just contains
all the tables/files.
Unfortunately , Windows has a limit on 512 open files.
A standard MapInfo table consists of 4 files, so a folder with 30 tables
takes 120 file handles.
The connection pool is set to 200 as a default, so you can guess how
fast it breaks.

My experiments show that, depending on the compilation options of the
provider,
the 512 limit is sometimes "pr provider" and sometimes "pr mapguide".

I would suggest trying to reduce the connection pool to 50 (SDF only has
one or two files open).

Also, you can try to run MapGuide interactively instead of as a service,
and you may see the errors
in the console.

Regards, Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S