[mapguide-users] [MGOS 2.1]few map with Ecw, need restart mapguide service

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Mon Dec 28 00:15:13 EST 2009

Just as a point of reference, I have been involved with MapGuide and raster since the MapGuide 6.x days.  Stable multi-threaded performance is difficult to achieve due to the sheer number of third party libraries involved.  From what I recall, Autodesk spent at least two developer months in the last release getting the Autodesk Raster Provider to the stable and relatively scalable state it is in currently.

This is not an easy task.  Each file format has to tested, analysed, and fixed separately because the underlying "codec" libraries are all different and come from different vendors.  In other words, stability with TIFF data does not guarantee stability with ECW or MrSID.  In some cases, the vendor libraries may not be 100% thread safe.  MapGuide is a heavily multi-threaded application.  If there is a thread safety problem, it is almost guaranteed that MapGuide will trip over it at some point.

This makes testing and validation especially painful.  I would consider a 24 hour load test on a 4 core machine to be a bare minimum test run for stability.  8+ cores would be preferable.

I personally like working on raster integration in MapGuide.  However, I also have enough background to know that it can be a bit of a black hole as far as development resources go.  Hopefully we as a community can raise enough funds through Project Sponsorship to pay a developer to bury his head in the raster provider for a couple of months.

Thanks,
Trevor